Sunday, May 23, 2010

So many places to see so little time!

I've been in London for about 5 days and I feel like I have been here for more than a week! For the past 5 days I have been able to explore some parts of London. Surprisingly, it has not rained here once!! Yesterday, I went to a panoramic bus tour of London through the CAPA program. My roommates and I were literally the last people to arrive for the tour and got there exactly at 2:00pm. I believe that I woke up at 11:00am that morning..(back to my old summer habits of sleeping in). The night before, 2 of my roommates and I decided to find the location of our internship sites. We left our apartment about 8:00pm and got home around 12:30am. (We did not even finish the tour). I have no idea what possessed me to take the Tube until midnight(time it closes). Fortunately, it made me more aware and situated with the subway lines throughout the city of London. Anyways, the panoramic bus tour was amazing. Our tour guide was very amusing and entertaining. The bus tour had hit me with the realization that there is still sooooo much to see in London! The tour only had one stop and that was at St.Paul's Cathedral. The other tour buses had more than four stops and I was a little disappointed that we had not done that. I guess it's karma for my tardiness. But it helped me plan out what sites to see. Later that night, I went to an Irish Pub/Club called O'Neill's on Picadilly Circus. Picadilly Circus is definitely like New York's Time Square, except Picadilly Circus is way cleaner, the buildings are more amazing to look at, and it seemed a LOT more congested with tourists. Gettting home was a bit scary...at least I learned how to hail a cab in a busy street!

For today, I went to the British Natural History. The building is amazing! We spent a few hours there and I still did not go to every part of the museum. I doubt I will go back to see more of it. I like art museums better. Then, I went to London's Chinatown which I did not even know existed. It seems that every major city in the world has a Chinatown. I stumbled upon Chinatown the night before when I went to O'Neills. I am definitely going there to buy food tomorrow!

London has been amazing so far and I always feel completely exhausted after the end of the day. There has been two people that have stopped my roommates and I to ask if we are American. I need to blend in and become a true Londoner within the next 6 weeks. Carrying around a camera and speaking very loud on the Tube probably give it away. Speaking of the Tube, I now know why most Londoners complain about the subway system here. In general, it is a very very good transportation option and it is sooooo much better than NYC subway line. Give me a couple of weeks..I will start complaining about the transportation. Tomorrow is the first day of CAPA classes and I also have my internship interview. I am hoping that classes and my internship will not take over my life while I am here. I am planning on going to the red carpet premiere of Sex and the City 2 on Leicester Square this Thursday, hitting up Oxford Street and Harrods and walking through Hyde Park. I've past by the last three places so many times through the red double decker bus and have not yet set foot on those streets. If you have read this far...you are amazing <3

"Please move all baggage away from the doors (Pause..) Please move ALL belongings away from the doors (Pause...) This is a personal message to the man in the brown suit wearing glasses at the rear of the train - put the pie down, four-eyes, and move your bloody golf clubs away from the door before I come down there and shove them up your #@&%! - sideways."-Tube Driver on the London Underground

No comments:

Post a Comment